Friday, November 9, 2007

Culture Shock or, Culture Integration?

Alright, call me a sports nut. I love football, basketball, baseball, hockey, any kind of sport I can watch. And, I can understand all these sports. These are the things I grew up watching and cheering. And now what sport is popular in South Asia? Cricket. It might as well be chess for all I understand it!

We have been at another IMB couple's house in another city in South Asia for a language workshop, and of course, the huge match between India and Pakistan is taking precedence over many other things. So, with a day to do nothing but relax after our train trip, myself and another co-worker sat and watched, for about 5 hours the first in a series of matches between the rival India and Pakistan. And, amazingly, I found myself beginning to understand the scoring, and the whole game! It was pretty exciting, actually. I have a desire to watch another game and even seek out the highlights. So, I'm either really hurting for some of my beloved sports back home, or maybe, just maybe I am beginning to integrate this culture into some of my own. Don't worry, there is still room for following some football on ESPN, only Monday night football comes on during the morning. Hey, maybe that means I'll be able to watch a full game and not fall asleep!


Anyways, we are all fine and will begin language learning with a helper as soon as we return to our city. In about a week or two, our apartment will be ready to move into, and then starts the task of filling it with furniture and making it a home away from home. Then we will be settled and concentrate more on our tasks.

No comments: