Saturday, August 18, 2007

FPO Week 2- Complete

Well, we've finished week 2 here at FPO. Mentally, it has been tiring. We feel as if we're in school again. We listened to Jerry Rankin for 3 days abouth spiritual warfare, which was really enlightening. We also learned about how churches in the SBC are defined and what the scriptural background is for that, and along the same lines the guidelines for how the IMB defines churches, also with scriptural backing. This was very needed for me, since I felt very uneducated to this subject. Very good information for us this first week. We were also introduced to some TCK's (Third Culture Kids) who are going back into the field as Journeymen or ISC couples like us. It was very interesting to hear and again very educational to us, as we are carrying 2 kids to the field with us. So far, everything we have been exposed to here has been of valued learning to us. We are processing all the information, and I guess that is what is making it mentally tiring to us.

We had our first meeting with our South Asia Regional office personnel this past Thursday. This is where we turned in all of our paperwork, if it was finished. Most of ours was, except for a couple things we will turn in next Tuesday at the next meeting. On top of all the exercise, meetings, small group times, meals, and sessions, oh and finding time to sleep and have quiet time, we have been given a list of books to read that is specific to the religion of the people group we will work with. Our people group practices Hindu, which has over 3 million different gods and idols, everything from actual human form gods, like Vishnu, Krishna, Ganesha, but also they worship rocks, plants, cows, a fork, anything that they think will bring them good luck. One of the books we have on our list is called "Death of a Guru", by Rabindranath Maharaj. I have heard of this book from many people, but I am not much of a book reader, unless I have time and am somewhat forced to read. I have to say that I have found this book to be very fascinating. It gives much insight into the Hindu religion and all the superstitions that they practice. I'm still reading, so please don't give away the end!

I volunteered to lead the Prayerwalking team while here at FPO. This team of 20 is responsible for prayerwaliking the campus every day for the next 8 weeks. The only thing I do is lead the meetings, make sure everyone is doing their part and that's about all. I do have a helper, I asked one of the team members if she wouldn't mind co-leading with me, since I am not much of an organizer. I can step into a leadership position, but organization in our family is left to my wife. I am happy to deligate that job! So,besides act like the team leader, I prayer walk with one of the men in my Quad M-W-F mornings. It is very uplifting to lift others up in prayer through prayer walking.

We are having a quiet, catch-up weekend so far, cleaning, doing laundry, catching up on our reading. Our Quad mates/small group have been a blessing to us. There are 2 other families, both with kids our age going to South Asia, and 2 Journeygirls who are going to South Asia. We have all had a good time and have bonded together as families already.

As I said, we have been loaded with a lot of stuff. Pray that we continue to seek God in the midst of our busy-ness and retain all the knowledge we get and take it to the field.

4 comments:

Kyle Goen said...

I am glad things are well. Keep your strength up. I will see you soon. We are praying for you here.

Lawrence Blakeslee said...

This adventure will change your life forever. God bless and strengthen you and your family in every way. Praying for you brother..

Alyce Faulkner said...

I'm so excited for you.
We will remember you and yours in our prayers.
Alycelee

Anonymous said...

Brother,
You touched my heart so much last night as you shared your heart and passion for the people. Know that God is faithful to bring your loved ones to the knowledge of Him.
Thanks for your obedience to His call.