Friday, August 31, 2007

FPO- Weeks 3 & 4

Wow, I had no idea that I hadn't posted in so long. Where has the time gone? I promised myself I wouldn't get so busy that I neglected to write down what's happening here, but here I am posting once every week and a half. I must try to be more diligent!

Week 3 wound up Friday. Of course, we had our first round of shots, followed by a second round yesterday. My wife, daughter and me got 3 shots each, while my 4 year old boy got 4. Here is an amusing story about his experience. We pumped him up so much about getting his shots, he walked in and told the nurses, "I want 5 shots!" The first look at the needle, and he then said "I don't want any shots now," as he tried to scoot off the stool! The nurses were ready and quickly gave him his shots, to which he shed not one tear! What a brave little guy! He emerged to applause outside the office, and the nurses told him that he got the award for best kid of the day! WooHoo! Way to go K!

During our class time, we learned about doctrine. (Yawn) O.K., it sounds like a yawner, but actually the presenter was very thorough and kept me interested in what I really needed to learn. He spoke, with scriptural backing about baptism, what the church is, the Lord's supper and who should partake, and much more. It was very enlightening and I learned a lot. We finished the week with learning cultural anthropology. Again, I had taken anthropology in college, but didn't learn enough to remember anything other than it was the study of people. We were taught by a professor of anthropology form Mid America Seminary, who also is a former M with the IMB. He taught us that we are to adapt as much as possible to the culture we are going to be in. He also said to learn the language, not out of a sense that we have to, but to honor the people we will be reaching, and to gain influence with them that we took time to learn their language and share the great message of Jesus. He really put things in perspective. We have been blessed to hear some people speak and teach us with passionate hearts to help us bring the Gospel to those who have never heard it.

Week 4 began with learning more about Hinduism, which we will be encountering in South Asia. I have seen and read much on Hinduism, and we learned a couple of new things and also were able to share more about what I have witnessed of it through my visits there this past year. We were also able to hear about some real church plants from field personnel here with us for now. God is doing some incredible things among the lost people of the earth. But then again, He is a big God!

We have also been looking at Church Planting Movements in the book of Acts. It has been such great learning to know that CPM's are not just something that was thought up by someone one day. The book of acts models this for us. CPM's are scriptural. We have been blessed to learn about them from the perspective of God's word this past week. It's amazing the more you get into the Word, the more God reveals to you about His purpose and plan. I have heard from so many that getting into the word is a necessity, but how many times can we neglect that simple bit of advice and not get into the Word? It is one of the things that we will need to lean on while on the field more than ever, and the more we practice it now and learn to draw out of God's word what He has to tell us, the more effective we can be as "sent out ones" for Him.

We have been sponges trying to take in everything we can, learn everything the speakers are teaching us. Please pray that we retain this knowledge so that when we get to the field, our foundations will be on Jesus and not ourselves or our own power.

Next week, we go through three days of security contingency training. Though I do not know exactly what is planned for us, I have heard (from other FPO attendees) that it is very intense, but some of the best training we may get while here. Pray that we survive!(Just kidding)

1 comment:

Tina said...

Praying... praying... praying....