Sunday, February 17, 2008

Future Evangelist for South Asia

God continues to show me things that I would never have expected to see. This past weekend, my team-mate and I traveled north about 9 hours to a place where we were to give our training to some local church planters. Things went pretty much as normal, but one thing really stood out to me. While we sat and ate breakfast one morning with some of the local believers in this village area, a 12 year old boy became very close to us. He is a believer (I'll call him K.K.) and he followed us everywhere. Even though we traveled by car around the area, he showed up beside the car ready to hang out with us no matter where we went. I was told that his father had died, and all he had was his older brother and the local church planter to take care of him. He is a good looking kid, always greeting us with a smile and a joy that only the Lord Himself could fill him with. He watched our every move, smiling every time we looked his way. He carried a bible in his language, wrapped in a home-made paper wrap (like those ones we used to cover our text-books in school with) and also kept it in a type of zip-loc bag for protection. We could tell this bible was very important to him by the way he protected it. I asked him, in my best attempt at his language that I have been learning, if he was reading his bible. He said yes. Later, as we exchanged some words in our own languages by pointing to objects, I decided to give him a bible verse to memorize (2 Timothy 3:16). I expected him to just listen to it and nod yes that he would read the verse. Right then he opened his bible, and to my amazement, the pages were full of underlined verses. He also had a notebook which he promptly pulled out and wrote down the verse I had given him and then underlined it in his bible. WOW, 12 going on 30 maybe? This young man showed me spiritual maturity that I had only acheived 7 years ago, when this young man was only 5! I also told him the Roman Road passages (Romans 3:23, 6:23, 5:8, 10:9-10, & 10:13), and that these were important verses to memorize for when he was somewhere and did not have his bible. This way he could share the salvation of Jesus with someone from memory. By seeing him, I believe that he will memorize them, and much more than that. During our training, instead of sitting in the back and fidgiting and daydreaming like you would expect a young boy to do, K.K. sat up front and hung on every word that we taught, reading passages out loud when we called for someone to read and frantically taking notes as the teaching went on. I was so impressed how God is working among the people of this area, even this young 0ne, that I had to tell this story. Please pray for K.K. as he moves on in his young life to be a strong leader for the Lord in this area of South Asia. I pray for the Lord to use him in a mighty way to move the people not only of his village but his whole state some day.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm touched by the testimony of this boy. It sounds to me like God has already placed a calling on his young life. Someone needs to ask him if God has called him to the ministry. You called him KK but do you know his real name? Thanks, TJ Lavigne
Email: childpreache@yahoo.com
Web address: www.childpreacher.com

J. Guy Muse said...

What a great story, SAM. Seeing that the Lord is at work in KK's life just makes you want to do all you can to help those kinds of people. It is all the more amazing that he is only 12. I thank God for KK and for you being there in SA to help him become a true disciple of Christ.

S.A.M. said...

Guy, thanks for the comment. It is great to see what God is doing among even the youngest of believers. I can only encourage him to become the leader that God has chosen him to be among his people.

Anonymous, thanks for checking in and the comment. One of our national partners told me that he has prayed for this young man to be an evangelist in this state, and he has taken that prayer and advice and gotten an early start. I do know his real name, but in the interest of safety of our national partners and church planters, I can only give them initials or change their names for their protection from persecution. He will face enough of that by just doing God's work in his area, so we try to be careful to keep their names from being published. Please pray for him, because God knows exactly who you are praying for. Thanks again for the interest!