Sunday, April 20, 2008

Remembrance

With a heavy heart, we have suffered a loss in our family. My Gramps, who had recently been diagnosed with bone cancer in his spine, was admitted to ICU on April 14 with multiple organ failure. There was nothing more the doctors could do but help him to be comfortable. My Dad rushed from across the country to his dad's bedside to be with his mother, brother and sisters so that they could all say goodbye together. He passed away on April 15, 2008. I know it was a hard journey for my Dad, but I thank the Lord for him being able to be there when Gramps passed peacefully. I thank you for all your prayers for our family during this time.

What can I say about my Gramps, except that he set the example as an honorable and Godly man. You see, the Dad that I speak of is my Step-Dad, and he and my Mom have been divorced since I was about 13 or 14. Even though I am not blood related with him, he treated me with the love that any young man growing up should have from a real father. He didn't have to, but he did anyway. That is why my only son is named after him. His parents, my Grams and Gramps, as well as my Uncle and Aunts showed me the same love; that of a blood family member. God gifted me with such a loving family that I could never even begin to repay the kindness and love they have given me over the years, and Gramps is the head of the family that gave this love that never expected anything in return.

It was hard not to be with the family during this time, but God allowed us to visit Grams and Gramps before leaving for South Asia. That is a time I will never forget. I know he was proud of what I and my family are doing for Jesus. I never planned on showing pictures of any family members on this blog for security reasons, but I make an exception for an exceptional man, so those who are reading this remembrance can look
on the face of a kind, loving, gentle, and Godly man. Gramps, I know you are praising the Lord Most High right now, and I look forward to the day when we see each other in heaven. Well done, good and faithful servant.

5 comments:

Steven said...

We are sorry for your loss. As always you and your family are in our prayers. Take comfort and rest in this, he safe in the arms of our Savior now, at peace forever more.

In His Service, For His Glory!

The Beckett's

J. Guy Muse said...

I am sorry about your loss. I too lost a "gramps" while overseas. May the Lord wrap his arms around you and all the family there.

Tim Patterson said...

SAM,

You know that our thoughts and prayers are with you and the family right now. We pray for you to experience the comfort that only God can give.

Anonymous said...

Mom says, A very lovely tribute to your gramps and you are right, your right - your step-Dad was one in a million. He certainly has played a large part in you growing into the man that you've become. I am sure that Gramps is looking down and smiling on you and your whole family as you continue to do the work you are doing. Thinking of you and knowing today is your 16th anniversary! Love Mom

Unknown said...

Gramps loved you and prayed for you daily....What joy you brought to his life and to all our lives.

We love you!

Aunt Sue and Uncle Doug