Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Should We Stay, or Should We Go?

For the past month, Bangkok, Thailand has been on high alert due to flood waters flowing to the gulf of Thailand from the north. For the last 3 months, torrential rains have caused the flooding to be catastrophic to people in outlying areas of the Capitol city of the country. With the main channels for that water running all through the main parts of the city, people have been warned about flood waters for a month straight. Food stocks are low, as people have been buying as much dry goods and drinking water as possible to stock up in case they get trapped in their homes or if stores close their doors due to flood waters or lack of distribution. Sand bags line the streets, as well as business fronts and residential homes, some as high as 6 feet! Many businesses are building 3 foot high temporary concrete walls in front of their buildings to keep water from damaging their assets. Many people have fled for sure dry ground outside the city in hopes of avoiding the flood waters and the problems they could face. Over 400 deaths have occurred from the floods: drowning, electrocution, sickness from contaminated water and other issues are the cause. The story is grim. Millions are out of their homes because they are half way or full of water to the roof. There is nowhere for the water to go but to escape to the ocean through the capitol city.

That is where we live.

We have been asked the question by our local Thai friends and acquaintances: "Will you leave Thailand to go to the U.S. to be safe from the flood?" I look at them and say "Why? Thailand is my home now. I will face the danger with my Thai neighbors and friends. I want to be able to help where I am needed." Jesus was asked, "Teacher, what is the greatest commandment?" He said, "You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul and with all your mind. This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: you shall love your neighbor as yourself." The Great Commandment speech can be found in Matt 22, Mark 12 and Luke 10. In Luke chapter 10, someone asks Jesus "Who is my neighbor?" We have been sent by God to Thailand to glorify Jesus in everything we do. How can we do that if we run away at the first sign of danger? How can we show that we are Jesus' disciples if we pick up and leave at the first sign of trouble? How are we being a neighbor to the Thai people if we only hang around while things are good? I do not fault anyone for leaving during troubled times. In many instances in the Bible, God called people away from troubled areas when needed. If we were to hear directly that we need to evacuate, we would. We will be wise and not foolish in our decision. Until then, we will stay and face the danger with our neighbors in Bangkok. I hope to be able to help the flood victims with whatever they need. I hope that if I become a flood victim, that my Thai neighbors will be willing to help me and my family. That is being a true neighbor.

We as followers of Christ need to show that we are not all talk. When I explained to one of my English students, who was worried about us getting caught in the flood, why I am staying, they said "Thank you." It was a very heartfelt thank you. That someone would actually stay and face the danger, help where needed, and be a true neighbor. I don't have all the answers, but I do know that we were called here to reflect Christ, and shine His light in the darkness. One Thai Christian leader said, "If all the Christians leave, who will be left to show God's love to the people who need it, especially in this time?"

We'll stay. We'll be neighbors. We'll show who we are, rather than talk about who we are. I follow Jesus. He stays with me no matter what, so I stay where he wants me, until he tells me to leave, no matter what.

No comments: