Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Spiritual Conversation

During one of my English classes this week, I was sitting with one student. His name is Wut (pronounced Woot). He was the only one of 6 my students who had showed up in the marriage class that I volunteered to teach at the Baptist Student Center (BSC). Instead of canceling and going home early, he wanted to talk. This is encouraging because we always tell our Thai students that they need practice by speaking to native English speakers. I was surprised how quickly the conversation turned spiritual.

Wut asked many questions about why I believe in Jesus, and why I follow him, pray, read the Bible, things about heaven and hell. I want so much to be able to give him the correct answers, but I cannot. I sat back and let the Holy Spirit guide my speech to help Wut understand the answers I gave.

Wut is a Buddhist, but has been hearing much talk about God, Jesus, the Bible, church, etc. recently. I can see the turmoil within his soul as I communicate answers to his questions. I asked Wut, "What happens when we die?" He gave me the same answer most Buddhists will give, that you come back as a new person and live and die and come back again. I told him that in the Bible, it says that man is destined to die once, and then face judgment (Hebrews 9:27) and that even our secret sins will be judged by God (Romans 2:16). I asked him if he understood God's judgment, to which he said "that is when God sends you to heaven or hell.", as he pointed up and down.

He then asked some questions that many people ask:

"If I realize, when I am sent to hell, that I have made a mistake, can I change my mind?" Tough question. God's final judgment on us is just and eternal. Once we face it, it is too late at that point. While we are on earth is the time to make that choice to follow God, and accept that Jesus the punishment we deserve. He took our place one time for all.

"Can I be good my whole life, but not accept Jesus and still go to heaven?" The Bible says that no one is good. We don't do good even if we want to, because we don't know how. God and the Bible tell us how to be good, and that without Christ and the acceptance of his sacrifice for our sins, we will not be allowed in heaven.

"If I stay in sin all my life, then when I am old I decide to turn to God and follow Jesus, can I still go to heaven?" Of course, as long as you have accepted that Jesus took your punishment, and your heart has believed that fact, you can. But caution: how can a person know he is going to last until old age? What happens if you decide to wait, and you die before you make your final decision? Judgment comes too soon, and you will suffer for it.

"Is it hard to follow all that is in the Bible?" Yes, and my nature is to not want to follow it because it is hard. But I trust and have faith that it teaches me to live right, and even though I try to do all it says, I sometimes do not. However, God still loves me, no matter what, even when I fail.

"Do you pray all the time?" As much as I need to. The more I pray and talk with God, the more I can understand what He wants me to do, and how I can answer questions about Him. And, I can pray wherever and whenever I want. I don't need to be in a church or any other building in order to pray. "Do you have to get on your knees to pray?" I can, because it is a posture of humbleness and respect to God. But more than physical humbleness, God wants us to come to Him with a humble heart. Bow your heart to God, not just your body.

There were so many questions Wut had, and every one was answered by the Holy Spirit. I pray that God's Spirit is speaking to Wut right now, and that he is thinking much about all these answers he has received. He is open, and curious. I hope he has more questions, and that all of us who are sharing Christ with him can help him understand the need he has for his Savior.

Wut says that he had been given a Thai & English Bible, so I gave him some passages to read on his own, in his own language so he could understand. I gave him the Romans Road passages, in answer to his questions about being good enough without Christ to be accepted by God. Romans 3:23, 6:23, 5:8, 10:13 and 10:9, as well as the passages on God's judgment, Romans 2:16 and Hebrews 9:27.

I want very much to have Wut join the Kingdom of the Living, True God. If he comes to know Christ and follow him, it won't be because of what I have done, but what the Spirit does through me. My only job is to be faithful, obedient and ready to give an answer to those who ask about what I believe and who I follow. Pray for Wut, as well as the people of Thailand that they can see Jesus through us.

No comments: