Friday, April 13, 2007

Emotionally and Spiritually Drained

What a wild last few days it's been. Lots has happened. I continue to pray for those I have committed to pray for every morning. On the top of that list, and at the top of the one to the right, is Rachel Olerud. If you haven't visited her site, please do so here. Her story is one of such courage, and for such a young lady. Over the past year, she has battled cancer, something I know everyone fears. I have committed to pray that God heals her body, so that she can be a light for His world and bring glory to Him.

Yesterday, after hearing the news that Rachel may pass anytime due to her little body simply having no more fight left in her, my wife came home emotionally and spiritually drained. Many things were going through her mind. She broke down on the way home. I have hit that wall this morning regarding my prayers for this little warrior. I am emotionally and spiritually drained.

My prayers seem to be selfish sometimes, though. Does anyone ever feel that way? We try to tell God what to do in certain situations when we pray to Him, you know, to get our way, instead of submitting to His will. I forget, many times that His way is the best way, no matter what I may think should or shouldn't happen. I remember, however, that when Jesus prayed to God just hours before He was to be tortured and crucified, that He prayed selfishly as well. He asked His Father that if there was any other way than the way things were supposed to happen, then make it so. He did not want to suffer and die a brutal death. However He submitted to what God wanted for Him. "Not my will Father, but YOUR will be done." Submitting sure isn't easy, even to God, and things that happen don't usually reveal themselves as to why they happened until sometimes many years later. We can rest in that assurance!

I have many prayers on my list, and it seems to keep growing. Some prayers get answered in a short time, some do not get answered the way I want them to. I pray that God answers all prayers, all needs. "But not my will Father, but your will be done." Father renew my spirit and lift me up today. Help me to remember and rest in the assurance that You do all things to bring glory to Yourself. Amen.

7 comments:

Darrell said...

SAM two years ago God used me to bring a man into the Kingdom. We have prayed non-stop for his wife, however she has filed for divorce and thus far does not seem the least bit interested in stopping. I know learning how to walk with those who are suffering is important. A verse that has been a huge help for me is James 5:7-11:

7 Dear brothers and sisters, you must be patient as you wait for the Lord’s return. Consider the farmers who eagerly look for the rains in the fall and in the spring. They patiently wait for the precious harvest to ripen.
8 You, too, must be patient. And take courage, for the coming of the Lord is near.
9 Don’t grumble about each other, my brothers and sisters, or God will judge you. For look! The great Judge is coming. He is standing at the door!
10 For examples of patience in suffering, dear brothers and sisters, look at the prophets who spoke in the name of the Lord.
11 We give great honor to those who endure under suffering. Job is an example of a man who endured patiently. From his experience we see how the Lord’s plan finally ended in good, for he is full of tenderness and mercy.

I will be praying for renewed strength for you. Thanks for your prayers.

Debbie Kaufman said...

S.A.M.: When one has passion as you and your wife do for Rachel, it does drain, both spiritually and emotionally. That's a good thing, it also seems God's way of saying that we need rest and there is no more to do at least for a little while. I have put Rachel on my list of prayer as well as you and your wife. It's good to see such passion, it's something that sometimes I don't see enough of in the Christian world. Thank you S.A.M. for sharing this. Off the subject a little, your blog is one that I am thankful for. Why? I read of passion on a daily basis.

S.A.M. said...

So my prayers for renewing my spirit come from brothers and sisters in Christ whom I have never met. Thank you Lord for Darrell and Debbie. Thank you both for your uplifting words! They are a blessing from Him. I am sorry to say that Rachel did pass early this morning. She has been released of her pain. The only pain now is that of the ones who loved and cared for her. Please continue to pray for her family. Thank you Darrell and Debbie again!
SAM

Darrell said...

Any buyers from yesterday?

Debbie Kaufman said...

I'm sorry to hear about Rachel but at the same time glad that she is with the Father where there is no more pain, no more sorrow. Thanks for the reminder to pray for her family.

You and your family are on my daily prayer list. I am glad you put your requests in your sidebar. The more missionaries I find, the more my list grows.

Strider said...

I lifted you and Rachel's family today. Death is a defeated enemy. Rachel did not die- she moved. So, we grieve with hope. I know you know that. Keep praying and keep blogging about it.

S.A.M. said...

Thanks to everyone who is praying and lifting up the Oleruds. They are laying Rachel to rest this evening. Hopefully the family can get somewhat past this soon, now that they will have closure.

SAM