Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Hero to Zero

In 1979, I got my first look at one of the men I would aspire to be like. Michigan State vs. Indiana State in the NCAA championship game. Magic Johnson was my hero from the moment he won the championship and MVP of the game. I grew up just south of Los Angeles, and was a thrilled 10 year old boy when I heard Magic was drafted by the Lakers. I was a die hard Laker fan, and idolized Magic all through my adolescent years. I wanted to be him. I cheered when the Lakers won, and cried when they lost. I lived Lakers basketball. I was fortunate enough to meet him in person a few times and will never forget the encounters.


November 1991, right around my 22nd birthday, Magic Johnson announced that he was retiring from the NBA because he had contracted HIV. When I heard this, I broke down and cried. Something died inside me that day. My hero was struck down prematurely.


I don't think I cried because I would never see my hero in action anymore. I cried because I was let down by him. I had built him up so much in my mind as the perfect model of what I wanted to be, and in one instant, that image was shattered. He had everything going for him. He obviously led a private lifestyle which led him to have to make this decision at this time in his life.


People are like that all over. It doesn't matter if it is a celebrity, your parents, your siblings or pastors or your leadership at church- People will let you down. You will be or have been disappointed by someone you look up to in your life. We create an image of someone based on what is seen or their outer actions. But underneath and in the heart is what that person is really like. Look in recent history. Mel Gibson is an example. He produced one of the most powerful movies about Jesus anyone has ever seen. I have deep respect for his stepping out in faith to produce "The Passion Of The Christ". Last year he was arrested for DUI, and in the midst of the arrest spewed anti-Semitic remarks to the officers. What a disappointment! He is, however, human like the rest of us and prone to sin first. Over on the Grace and Truth blog, Wade Burleson has posted about retired pastor Rick Ousley and an inappropriate relationship he has had with a woman not his wife. Rick, as I have read, is a highly respected minster, revered by those he has led during the years of his ministry and pastor ship. Many people who have built his image up are now picking up the pieces of his shattered image and are devastated. Stories like this are all through history, and many are even in the Bible!


We can have no hope in one another, because in Romans 3 it says-"there is no one righteous, not even one." We will all disappoint someone and we will be disappointed by someone we respect and love at some time in our life. My biological father chose not to have much of an existence in my life, and that devastated me growing up as well. I have found this, however- my Heavenly Father will NEVER let me down or disappoint or forsake me. Our Heavenly Father will always be there for us. This was my draw to be an adopted child of the Most High God years ago. I have not always been an obedient child (which I pay for with the disobedience of my own children:)!) but I know that He never changes. He is there for me no matter what. God is there for all of us, no matter what.


Out of all your heroes, which ones became zeroes and disappointed you?

2 comments:

. said...

The point is not that people fall. Because everyone does. The larger issue is why was Ousley allowed to be a pastor anyway? He was divorced due to his adultery, he was not qualified to be a pastor.

S.A.M. said...

Full court,
Thanks for the dialogue. I agree that Ousley was probably not qualified under SBC guidelines, or even any other church guidelines because of his sins. His failure as a leader in the church is evidence of that. That is a very good question, but one that I cannot nor can many other people answer. He is, by all accounts that I have read about him, a very charismatic, eloquent speaker, and one that many people gravitate towards. I know some people like that in our church body. However, that does not make them qualified to be in a church leadership role.
I'm sure that there will be many more stories to come out of this, hopefully the truth will outshine the gossip, and somehow God will be glorified through all of this. I cannot and do not apologize for him or for his actions, but it is not I that condemn him either. I will leave that up to God. Thanks for the comment.

SAM