Sunday, March 4, 2007

My Call- Part 2: A Leading

The first part of this story, I had in mind that I would not be so detailed in the happenings that led me and my family to this point in our lives. I did not want to take so much of someone's time to read about our story. There are some things I have edited for boredom's sake, but once I got started, I just kept going. This next part is the part that gets even more emotional for me, and I hope that translates into the typed word. God is so good!

When I returned from my first ever mission trip, I felt very uncomfortable, and it wasn't just jet lag! I had an empty feeling like there was something else I needed to do about my experience. I knew God was prompting me to do more, but I didn't know what. I had kept a journal of the trip, because I wanted to put it in print for my family and friends when I returned home. About 3 weeks later, I sent an e-mail to all those that contributed prayerfully and monetarily to me going. I got a lot of good feedback. I also stayed in contact with our missionary family, I'll call them the Jones'*, that was back in South Asia, and our partner who hosted us, I'll call him Thomas*. About a month after the trip, the Jones' came home for their stateside assignment, and Thomas* came to visit the U.S.

Our church was holding a reception for him Sunday and I introduced my wife to him. He greeted her with a big smile, and out of the blue, he asked her "How would you feel if the Lord called your husband to full time service in the country I live?" She said, she would have to obey. We had a wonderful time together at the reception. Thomas spoke to the group gathered and told his testimony of how he was called by the Lord out of a comfortable ministry to be a missionary in the poorest state in his country. His parents, who are Christ followers and in the ministry, told him that it was a mistake to go there. It was unsafe. Then one day during his quiet time, he read the passage of scripture that really touched his heart, and touched mine as well. "for, "Everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved." How, then, can they call on the one they have not believed in? And how can they believe in the one of whom they have not heard? And how can they hear without someone preaching to them? And how can they preach unless they are sent?" Romans 10:13-15. (I read that scripture still today, and it keeps me going toward the goal.) Then Mr Jones* spoke and talked about missions and all God needs is a willing heart to serve, and He will do the rest. I was hooked even more, but how was I to tell my wife? My stomach was in knots trying to tell her in a way that wouldn't freak her out that we are being called to full time missions in a specific area of South Asia. Silence filled the car, until it was broken by her. "You know, I'll go wherever God will lead us." Whew!! What a load off my mind. And what a woman God gave to me!

We decided to talk further of this with the Jones', since they lived where we were called to go. I also felt led to lead a team from our church on the next mission trip to the area, regardless of not having enough time. I decided I would not limit what God had planned in my life. I contacted the associate pastor, and we had lunch the next day, with the pastor as well. I told them I would lead the next team, and he told me there was space for one more lady to go. I immediately told them my wife would go, and I proceeded to tell them why. That she needed to see where we would live because we felt God leading us to full time mission service in South Asia. Both of them fell back in their chairs, mouths wide open, and tears began to form in all of our eyes. I could tell they were so proud of the fact that God was working in the lives of families for overseas service. We sat in silence for a short time, then did the guy thing- "How about that football game last night!" We then had the Jones' over for dinner to grill them about working for the IMB in this particular area, and what to expect. We are greatful for their leadership and guidance through this whole process. So we began our detailed process of applying to the IMB for full time service, as well as preparing for the next mission trip together with another team from our church.

We began our process by telling our parents, my mother first. Our parents do not live in the state we live, they all live 2000 mile west, and are not Christ followers. So, how could we explain to them we were moving half way around the world and bringing their grandchildren with us? That is going to be a problem. We began to pray, and our small group prayed for us. Telling them went the way we thought, they cried, they wondered if it was safe, if we would take the kids, etc. They still don't understand that God had placed this call on our lives, the only decision for us to make was to obey our Lord and Savior. Once we got that out of the way, we put our house on the market. It is still for sale, and for the last 9 months we have shown it. We know God has a plan and will sell it in His time, but we still stress about it!

In my next post, I will continue, as this one is getting looooooong!

2 comments:

J. Guy Muse said...

Again, it is interesting to read of your "call" into missions service. Like Debbie said in your previous post, you are honest and upfront about this and the details you share are significant such as sharing this with your parents, church staff, etc. and the different reactions from each.

S.A.M. said...

Guy,
The further I go with my story, the longer ite seems to get! It's amazing how much God has done to bring this opportunity to us. We are so excited to be chosen for this service.
SAM