Wednesday, May 2, 2007

Observations from recent trip

So much happens on volunteer mission trips, sometimes its hard to put into words right away. Returning from one of these trips, your mind tends to be a little foggy and its hard to process what you've just gone through. One remedy to remember is to journal every day's events in the evening while winding down. I began to write things down, but the trip went by so fast and so many things happened that I did not get a chance to journal. Here are some general observations that came to me today as my mind begins to get clearer and further recovers from jet-lag.

1. Culture shock- This happens in phases. The first phase is the 14 hour plane ride with the nationals to the country to which you are going. Slowly you are initiated into the culture you will experience with the sights, sounds and yes- smells. The second phase is the airport. You quickly realize that personal space is something you have left at home, and standing in lines is a whole different story- because there are none that make any sense! The third and final phase of your culture shock is when you emerge from the airport with your taxi driver that speaks little English if any, and he leads you across the most treacherous and crowded and confusing road you have ever seen. 5 or 6 men come to help you with your bags, and at first you think that they are with your driver. But soon you realize that your car has only six seats, not enough for the team and them. They are just porters that help you in order to make money. I forgot this and had to pay 5 men for helping us. While I paid them, the rest of my team watched, and suddenly I realized I needed to just get in the car. Like a parent coming out of the grocery store with his kids, I told my 3 other team members- "Get in the car!" Not that we were in danger, but we needed to move on.

2. Realization of where you are- When we arrived at a guest house where personnel for the company stay on their way to their final destination on the field, we met a new M family just in from the US ready to head to their city. We were excited to talk with them, and fellowship with them for a while. A family of 5 on an amazing journey and eager to share. I looked at my watch and realized that back home, it was Sunday morning, and our church family was worshipping at this very moment. We all took some time to pray for our church and their worship. It's an incredibly powerful and emotional thing to be able to pray for your church while they are worshipping half-way around the world. I can't do it without tearing up. You then realize where you are, and that God is with you here as well. You begin to realize that God is a lot larger than you ever thought.

3. Mosquito protection- They tell you to protect yourself from mosquitoes with some sort of bug spray. Something with at least 30% deet is sufficient for South Asia. Before my first trip, I went to Wal-Mart, into the camping section and started reading labels of the different sprays. One spray had only 10%, one had 20%, one had 30%. Look further, and there is 45%! But, there was one last one- 100% deet!! Better to have more than enough protection, right? I heard all the objections, even from my wife, that too much of anything is not good. I brought it anyway. One night, while there, we were stuck outside at dusk, and not only did the mosquitoes come out, but every other flying insect seemed to be attracted to us. Out came the 100%. Who else wanted to use it? Everyone! All those who thought it would be too much. Who's got too much of a good thing now? My 100% deet has come back with me the last two times also, and everyone uses it. If I spray it on, however, there is a 5-10 foot deet radius that if we all huddle into, we are safe from all mosquitoes! HA! The 100% deet bubble!

4. The moon- This may sound a little cheesy, but here goes. We fly domestic to our destination city, and when we get off the plane, we walk outside, usually at night, to the terminal. My first trip I looked up to the sky, and noticed the moon. I said to myself, "The moon looks the same here on the other side of the world." And I thanked God for placing me there at that time, and allowing me to be there. My last two trips, I got off the plane looking for the moon, and I point it out to the other team members that it looks the same way over here. Like I said, kind of cheesy, but I try to experience and notice everything I can, and share with those who are seeing it for the first time.

5. Worship- Another moving, powerful and emotionally uplifting experience is worshipping The One True God with local believers in their own language. You really feel the Lord pouring out His Spirit on you and the group you are with. Words cannot describe the feeling, but I get choked up witnessing these Christ Followers sell out for Jesus. They are obeying the greatest commandment- Love the Lord your God with all your heart and all your soul and all your strength.

6. Realization of the harvest- It becomes vividly evident that there is a spiritual warfare going on in this place. People on the street, non-believers which 99% of South Asia is, seem very empty. Blank stares with seemingly no hope in their lives. People worshipping idols and gods that they only worship because that is all they know. They are spiritually blind. How can they call on the one they have not believed? How can they believe in the one they have not heard?Seeing the difference of the local Christ Followers and the local non-believers is like looking at night and day. The joy of the Lord is so obvious in their faces. They have found their hope. We need to share this hope with those who do not know that they have the gift of this hope. The harvest is plentiful.

These are just some things that I experience while on a short term volunteer trip. It is emotionally uplifting, and sometimes funny to experience these things. God calls all of us to go when we are ready. All He wants is a willingness to obey and a courage to step out of the boat and go. No matter how unworthy or unqualified you feel. The experience will change your life, guaranteed. Probably not as dramatic as going into full time mission work, but I promise you won't be the same. It's ok to support missions financially and prayerfully, but experience God's work overseas and it will change your perspective on many things. It will strengthen your walk with Jesus.




1 comment:

Glenn said...

Hey...This entry was a special blessing to me. Thanks! Much Love, Glenn